AUTHOR: Carolyn Savage | POSTED: May 16, 2012 | COMMENTS: 3 Comments
CATEGORIES: Love This...Not So Much,
I’m selectively cheap. What does that mean? Well, I prefer to spend money on certain things like clothes, items for our home, and my kid’s activities and education. I hate spending money on food. Although I don’t clip coupons, I do a pretty good job at keeping our grocery bill down, which is challenging because I also like to entertain. When I throw a party I like to serve dishes that are appetizing and pretty…which can be expensive.
For Sean’s 40th birthday party, I decided I wanted to forego the mess of a birthday cake in favor of a cupcake bar. When I learned that our local gourmet cupcake shop charges $25/dozen for cupcakes I was dumbfounded. I remember standing in the bakery and thinking, “Screw that. I can make them myself.”
That’s how I found the recipe for Black Bottom Big Butt Cupcakes. Since that party, it has been a go-to treat in our house for a couple of reasons. First, it has chocolate which is a dietary requirement for me. I’ve never understood fruity desserts that people declare to be “refreshing”. I don’t want to be “refreshed” at dessert. I want to be rolling in chocolate. It makes me less bitchy (ask Sean). Black Bottom- Big Butt cupcakes are also easy to make. If you’re in a pinch, you can use a cake mix. Lastly, these cupcakes are easy to transport since they aren’t frosted. You can cover them with foil, or throw them in a Tupperware container and they’ll still look edible when you take them out.
I made them last week for Mother’s Day. I said I was doing it for my kids but truthfully, I was doing it for myself. And yes…they go straight to your butt. Hence the name!
Black Bottom Big Butt Cupcakes
Ingredients ( You can substitute a chocolate cake mix for this part of the recipe)
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbs. vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 (8oz) pkg. cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips (or regular…the mini’s work best)
Powered Sugar for sprinkling.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, 2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tsp salt, and baking soda. Stir in oil, water, vinegar and vanilla until blended.
- Pour mixture into prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full.
- To make the filling: In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, egg, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/4 tsp salt until light and fluffy. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop a heaping tsp of the filling mixture into the center of each cupcake. (I always have to use my finger and push the mixture down until it’s almost fully covered with cake batter.)
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Allow to cool.